Monday, January 10, 2011 | By: k8lin

She's Leaving Home

      So on Sunday, January 9th I left my house at approximately 5:00 am. My parents drove me to Newark airport, where at 8:00 am I boarded a Virgin Atlantic plane bound for London Heathrow airport. I was actually super nervous, I haven't been on a plane since I was 8 years old. So I didn't really remember it all that well. To add to that, I had never been out of the country to anywhere other than Canada before. .
    The whole process was really new to me. Although it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I was on the plane in no time. The flight took about 6.5 hours. The seating arrangement was not all that comfortable, but I was highly entertained by the movie selection. I watched both "Get Him to The Greek" and "Sex in the City 2." When I had finished those, I watched episodes of Glee and Modern Family.
      At 8:15 pm my plane touched down in London, England. The view of the city at night was gorgeous the lights seemed to glow and shimmer in gold. From my window I spotted the London Tower Bridge, Big Ben and The London Eye.Once in the airport I sat thru a lovely 45 minute line at the border control, then waited a half an hour for my luggage. My cousin Melissa and her husband Paul were waiting for me, and drove me back to their flat in Kensington.
     The trip although seemingly normal to both Melissa and Paul, was a first experience for me. First of all both the steering wheel and car were in opposite places. Driving on the left is so odd. At their flat I got to meet the extremely charming Zachary Penventon. He is so cute and fluffy!! Not quite like any other cat I have ever met. He is very friendly despite the grimace on his face. Zach strikes me as a cat version of my dog Annie. After meeting with Zach and chatting a bit, I went to bed.
     This morning Melissa and I went out to run some errands, in order to help me get situated. We went to the Whitelely's a shopping center where I looked at all different types of pay as you go phones Orange, Vodafone, O2 and T-mobile. Then we walked to the Underground station and the bank so I could think about what I wanted to do phone-wise. Went and got a temporary Oyster card until my student one came in, and went to the local HSBC so I could take out some UK currency (which by the way is also a bit odd).
    Then we went back to the shopping center where I made my decision to go with Orange who's plan offered 240 international minutes for thirty pounds, which will work well with me calling my parents and all. After I bought my mobile (not cell) phone Melissa and I grabbed a bite to eat at a Mexican eatery that she often eats at.
   Well that has been my day so far! I cannot wait for my friends to arrive tomorrow morning. I have orientation with them at 10:30 am.



xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment